AkiraFist, the developer of this project, made an SMS garage door butler. It has a lot of features compared to that of the typical remote-controlled garage doors. With the garage door butler, you can track those people who opens the garage by capturing a video, sending you a garage status and more! This way, the security level is heightened.
Check out its features:
- 100% secure garage door operation, with access control lists. Only authorized family members can open.
- Ability to monitor or control garage anywhere in the world from a controlled website, with no open router ports
- Full video capture of who’s coming into the garage, uploaded securely to your website for later perusal
- Ability to remotely stop or kill the process in case of malfunction or abuse
- Email notifications when a family member arrives or leaves the house
- Cheap SMS solution (3/4 a cent per text), with no GSM card purchases or any cell contracts
- Standard Linux code, easily setup on a new Pi, and quickly portable to other platforms like BeagleBone or whatever future Linux technology arrives. Basically, I wanted the ability to restore this system on a fresh device within 30 minutes or less
What you will need :
- A Raspberry Pi or BeagleBone Black setup with base configuration. I use Raspbian Wheezy
- Wireless connectivity via a wireless dongle (or just plug in a network cable)
- A camera (compatible webcam or PiCam)
- A relay board. I use “SainSmart 5V 2-Channel Solid State Relay Board“, because it defaults to LOW instead of HIGH
- Enough wire to access your garage door opener, or just break apart a spare remote
- A website with hosting. You can get a small amount of space on DropBox or Google Drive and use that, or you can create a random website from a cheap hosting service like 1and1.com, which will provide 100gb of space for only $11 PER YEAR. You won’t need to keep these files anyhow, since they’re just logs.
Click here for more details!